I didn’t sew much in March. I had sewn up an order for my Etsy shop, but that’s pretty much it. Instead, I spent the end of the first quarter of the year with a sinus-muddled head and a persistent cough that has been keeping me awake at night and driving me mad.
So I gave up on sewing for a bit and started watching Downton Abbey–in bed, with the new tv that the hubs put in our bedroom. I stayed in bed until I watched all 3 seasons, which are happily available On Demand. I’m quite surprised by my new-found addiction to the
show programme, since I don’t usually watch tv. Books are my thing. Except Downton Abbey is like a Jane Austen novel, only oh-so-much better because of the setting, clothing and characters–who create both chemistry and tension by the subtle nuance of facial expressions and excellent dialogue. Then this quote had me thinking that I should get back to sewing:
“You have a talent that none of the rest of us have. Just find out what it is and use it. It’s doing nothing that’s the enemy.”
— Sybil Crawley, Downton Abbey (Season 2, Episode 2)
You win, Sybil. (The part about doing nothing). Yesterday I started cutting fabric for Boo’s birthday quilt. The photo above is a collection of Kate Spain’s Central Park fabric that I was going to use to make Boo a quilt. I love every single print in the line. But even though there are blues, greens & purples, I couldn’t get over how feminine it is–too many florals, I guess. One of the first things I sewed for Boo were fabric boxes made with the animal print. It’s what got me hooked on quilting fabric, really, so the entire collection makes me a bit sentimental. I made the baby boots with this pattern.
The bigger box fits diapers and wipes.
So I bought another stack of fabric, mostly from Michele Brummer Everett’s collections: Seven Seas & Monsterz. The other prints are random fat quarters that I bought from Sew Fresh Fabrics. All of the fabric is 100% organic cotton.
Today, I sewed up my first wonky star block! This tutorial is excellent–the photos make it easy to follow. Instead of using 4.5″ squares, I used 3″ squares to fit my quilt design. The finished block measures 8″x8″. It took a bit of effort to figure out where to put the points, in order for all of the critters to be right-side-up. Only 17 more to go!
I am hoping to have this quilt finished in time for Boo’s birthday next week, but I think that’s a bit ambitious. I’m hoping to post a finished quilt soon–I need something to focus on so I don’t feel the effects of Downton Abbey withdrawal.