Cushion Makeover

Years ago, I bought 4 turquoise cushions on sale at London Drugs to use as seat cushions for our spare chairs. They weren’t meant to be seat cushions, but at $2.99 each, they were perfect. The only sewing I did was to attach a piece of ribbon on 2 corners to keep the cushions from sliding off the chairs. 

Fast forward 6 years: the hubs and I packed away half our furniture in temporary storage, including our dining chairs (which are so nasty, but that is a post for the future) and our spare chairs became our new dining chairs. Our dining chairs took up a lot of room, but really, I couldn’t imagine putting our condo up for sale and people being put-off by our dining chairs. So I decided to make new cushion covers. I wanted to make patchwork cushions and was excited to use fabric from the Echo line by Lotta Jansdotter. The cushion tops were made, but there was still piping and zippers to install. Then life got in the way and moving to a new country turned out to be a lot more stressful than I thought it would be, so the turquoise cushions remained naked.

When we moved to San Mateo, the dining chairs came back to life (shudder). I bought laminated cotton fabric to reupholster them; cloth covered chairs are not meant for little kiddos. I am also planning to paint the chairs, so we’ll see how that goes. Also, my craft shelf (Ikea Expedit bookcase) became our hallway bench. I have no idea if it’s strong enough to hold our weight, but so far it’s holding up. Froo loves that she has her own cubby for her shoes. I love putting Boo on the bench because he is too afraid to jump off and will sit there until we are ready to go.Ta da! The cushions are done! Almost too nice to be underneath our butts.
I used this tutorial to sew the piping on and I used this tutorial to sew the invisible zipper. I even bought an invisible zipper foot to install my zipper, but I didn’t end up using it because it doesn’t work when there is piping in the way. Some cushions turned out better than others, but I couldn’t get a close enough finish on the piping side of the cushion to be a truly invisible zipper. I ironed on fusible fleece to both the top and bottom of my cushion since they will be getting a lot of use.
Finally, a look at Boo’s shoes. His feet are growing too fast. He also has really chubby feet, so he has a hard time squishing his feet into most shoes. We bought him the Star Wars shoes when we first arrived and now they are too tight. Le sigh.

Advertisements

5 responses to “Cushion Makeover

  1. amy

    beautiful !

  2. Pingback: A new camera case « FROO & BOO

  3. Pingback: This boy… « FROO & BOO

%d bloggers like this: